Tuesday 8 December 2015

A Postcard a Day - Tuesday 8 Dec 2015 - T for Bubble tea

Good Morning! Hello T for Tuesday people!

My postcard for today comes from Taiwan. It's from the series 'Greetings from...' 
I exchanged this one for a 'Greetings from Spain' card in the same vein. 

Taiwan is an island near (and part of) China. It has 36,193 square km. It was given the name Formosa, meaning 'beautiful' by the Portuguese in the 16th century when they first laid eyes on it. According to the card, Taiwan has 23,373,517 inhabitants, of which over 53,000 are Postcrossing members. 

Baseball is a national sport in Taiwan and some famous Taiwanese are Jason Wu (Fashion designer), Ang Lee (film director), Lin Hwai-min (dancer, choreographer), Hou Hsiao Hsien (film director).

Taiwan is the 16th most desely populated country with 642 inhabitants per sq km. The highest mountain is Yushan with its 3952 metres.

Now for the fun bit: Taiwan's popular drink is Bubble tea:
Bubble tea is a Taiwanese tea-based drink invented in Taichung in the 1980s. Most bubble tea recipes contain a tea base mixed/shaken with fruit or milk, to which chewy tapioca balls or fruit jellies are often added.

This is how it is made. People from Britain will know tapioca pearls, but these seem to be much larger than the ones I was used to in the UK.

The straws are extra large so that you can suck up the tapioca. This is just asking for a crude joke don't you think?
I'll leave you with this little gem:


I will be linking up with Elizabeth at T for Tuesday, where anything drink related can be posted. By all means join us!


Have a bubbly Tuesday,

Blessings,

Lisca

14 comments:

  1. I'm still laughing Lisca. I've never known tapioca to be that large, though. And I think I'll pass on the tea, even though there is some tea I prefer to drink with milk/cream. I confess that I have never heard of that tea, though. It's amazing, because tea originated in the far east.

    I enjoyed reading about the different activities and such in Taiwan. Rather fascinating reading. Thanks for sharing the postcard AND the tea with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This postcard exchangig is great ! Always so interesting to visit your postcrossing posts ! I am not very fond of bubble tea - maybe I did not have the best cup to try it out admittedly - but I think I don't like this kind of tea even though all the photos here look delicious and intersting!
    Happy T-Day!
    oxo
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  3. GIGGLES!!! I'm not going anywhere near those balls!!! Very interesting info though. And I've only seen the really small tapioca, too:):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very informative post about Taiwan, thanks. I had bubble tea here once, and never again, I felt so bad afterwards - I think I belong to those who don't like sucking on (tapioca)balls! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe I will pass on the tapioca balls....laughing, but very interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha!! What a fun and interesting post, but I will pass on those drinks. Thanks for sharing and happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post still has me giggling! I have seen those large pearls in the supermarket but am not the biggest fan of tapioca in any form. Thanks for making me smile today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are places that serve bubble tea here, but -even though it looks pretty- I've never been tempted. Entirely too much other than tea in that tea lol Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! Oh Lisca, the end is just too funny!!!
    Sounds like a fun drink, and I would probably give it a try is I ever get the chance.
    Thanks for sharing the interesting postcard.
    Happy T-day

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know what you mean! Ha!ha! I don't think I would like this tea at all since I don't like any tea! Have a good week! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was fun and informative, lol. I think we use something similar to tapioca pearls in India too but not in tea-:)
    Happy T day

    ReplyDelete
  12. Delightful post -- we have lots of bubble tea here in San Francisco. I like the way it looks but I don't like to drink it. I did sure enjoy the Spanish wines and drinks when visiting Spain tho....and i liked the postcard from Taiwan too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goodness! Never heard of that drink--LOL! Seems quite an odd combination. Interesting information on the post card, too. Happy T-Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my goodness...never heard of bubble tea, but that is so fun! and of course that last bit is a real hoot! giggling still...always fun to see the postcards you share as well. happy belated T day!

    ReplyDelete