Saturday 21 November 2015

A Postcard a Day - Saturday 21 Nov 2015 - Belarus

Good Morning! 
It's weekend! Whoopee!
Are you going to do something exciting? Or is it a normal workday for you? (I used to be a nurse, so weekends didn't mean anything to me. And if i were working I knew that I'd be working with a skeleton staff.i.e. we'd be much busier).

Here is one of the cards I received this week from Belarus:
I like it very much. It is a map of the country with the relevant national costumes. 

I already had another card from the same series:
Beautiful, aren't they?

The stamp on the first card is very colourful:
In reality the red is bright red. This photo doesn't do it justice. The ladybird on the stamp is also embossed. 
The ladybird is called the Psyllobora vigintiduopunctata.  This 22-spot ladybird is different to other ladybirds because it eats mildew, unlike all other ladybirds who eat aphids. 

The other card I got this week from Belarus is this one:

Grain pudding. I have no idea what grain berries are so it will be difficult to make this at home. 

Again I already had a card from the same series with a potato pancakes recipe on it (which I shared with you a while ago).  

The stamp is very special. I can't read Belarussian but I reckon it is a painting by Marc Chagall.
OK, I've just looked it up and it is from a series of stamps about artists of the Paris school that were born in Belarus. They are Ossip Zadkine (the lake), Ossip Lubich (landscape with red roof), Chaim Soutine (Eva) and Marc Chagall (two lovers):
In case you wondered what the letters N and M stand for,  N is for surface mail abroad, and M is for air mail abroad.

That's it from me today.

Have a lovely weekend,

Blessings,

Lisca


4 comments:

  1. I'm surprised you didnt find out what wheat berries were/are https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_berry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course Bridget, that was the first thing i did, but i still don't know what they are if you know what i mean. What do I look for in the stores? How would it be marketed in western Europe? Is there a Spanish name for it?

      Delete
  2. I think these series are just divine.....it's great the recipes are in English, even if it's difficult to work out exactly WHAT the ingredients actually are! Good luck with that one...& the ladybird stamp....fave! Love ladybirds! Ours are orange over here:):) have a great weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisca
    I see that you do not have postcards from Polish.
    I'll send them to you with pleasure.
    I'll do it before Christmas.
    Kisses and greetings.
    Lucia

    ReplyDelete