Sunday 20 September 2015

A Postcard a Day - Sunday 20 September 2015 Speyer Cathedral and the origin of the word 'Protestant'

Good morning friends, It's Sunday again. 

I've had my breakfast (scrambled egg on toast, a Sunday treat) and in an hour we'll be heading to church.

I'm showing you a postcard from Germany, which was one of the first Postcrossing cards I received five years ago.
It shows the Romanesque Speyer Cathedral. It was sent to me by  Georg in Neustadt. He knew I liked UNESCO World heritage Sites and this cathedral is a world heritage site.

Georg also gives me some interesting info on the cathedral and the city of Spyer.
The last paragraph explains where the word 'Protestant' comes from. Interesting.... I didn't know that.

The stamp features Johannes Calvin.
Johannes (John) Calvin (1509-1564)was an influential French theologian and pastor during the Protestant Reformation. He was a principal figure in the development of the system of Christian theology later called Calvinism.

Here are two quotes by Calvin:

"However many blessings we expect from God, His infinite liberality will always exceed all our wishes and our thoughts."
"There is not one blade of grass, there is no color in this world that is not intended to make us rejoice."

That's it from me today. Enjoy the rest of your weekend and I'll see you tomorrow with MondayMap.

Blessings,

Lisca



  


No comments: