Tuesday 1 April 2014

Cave house bathroom

Hello again.
It’s the first of April: April Fool’s Day! But I’m not going to play a joke on you. I’m going to tell you about my life living in a cave house in Andalucia (Spain).


The good thing about living in a cave house is that if you need more room, you can just hack out some more space out of the rock (within reason). 
Of course we have a bathroom in our cave house, but I always thought that an en-suite bathroom would be the ultimate luxury.  I’ve never had one and dreamt that one day I would. My lovely husband Graham promised he would do me one (Yes I am so blessed to have a handy hubby). 

  Last year he began digging into the bedroom wall and drilling to get all the services in (water, drainage etc). We moved the bed to another room of course.
 
 Then one day he got his Kango hammer out and started digging in earnest. A little bit every day, bless him! It took him months!

 But eventually I got the space. I chose the tiles (They are a typical Andalucian design) and not long after that I had my bathroom. Hey ho good ol’ Graham! Beautiful it is too. I’m very pleased. (And that’s a very British understatement!)


As yet we had no door in it. As a married couple we are not too fussed about having a door in the bathroom, but when we have guests, I guess they would certainly appreciate a door. Not long ago we picked up an antique door and I bought some chalk paint (Annie Sloan). Last week I painted it a duck egg colour and the next day I waxed it. It’s now up to Graham to make a frame and put the door in. I’ve done my bit. (lol) I’ll show you all the result when the door is in.
Thank you so much for looking. I’ll be back on Wednesday to share with you what’s on my craft desk....
Until then good bye and God Bless!
Lisca

4 comments:

  1. This looks GREAT! It sort of reminds me of the underground houses we have over here at Coober Pedy... where it's very hot & sensible to dig in to live! Guess it's much the same there????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Lizzy. I've heard about Coober Pedy. And it does get very hot here in summer. The difference being that it gets very cold in winter (snow and ice) but the insulating principle still applies though. The cave keeps it's heat very well. We love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating reading. I love the idea of just hacking out another room when you need one. It is beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, oh wow, Lisca. I am so glad you shared this with us because I am so new to your blog, I didn't exactly realize until you pointed it out, you live in a real cave! And your husband is to be commended, because his hard work made it possible. You are both lucky to have each other.

    So glad you figured out how to share this. Thanks so much for joining us with your second look on the 2nd.

    ReplyDelete